Wooden frames with beeswax foundation are widely used in the UK and can be bought in self-assembly form.
Hives can also be bought in self-assembly form.
Hive Assembly Instructions
- Insert inner wall pieces into grooves in outer wall pieces.
- For supers with a frame spacer saw cut, the cut should be at the top and nearest to the outside (see diagram).
- Push locking bars into the rebates, bevelled bar at the bottom (see cross section).
- Adjust the inner walls to be flush with the rebates in the locking bars (see cross section).
- Nail through outer walls into inner walls as shown with 50mm (2”) nails.
- Nail locking bars to outer walls as shown with 50mm nails.
- Nail locking bars from inside using 35mm (1½) nails.
- Check the box is square (diagonals are equal).
- Attach the runners using brass escutcheon pins to give correct bee space.
A water proof glue can be used on joints if desired.