|Remove the wedge from the top bar. Assemble the top bar, side bars and one bottom bar. Side bars have the groove on the inside.|
|Nail as shown – 2 nails for each side bar, and nail bottom bar up through side bar when nailing Hoffman frames.|
|Bend over long wire loops of foundation. Slide foundation along grooves onto top bar.|
|Nail the wedge onto the top bar, trapping the bent wires. Nail through each loop of wire at a slight angle. Fit and nail the second bottom bar.|
|When assembling Hoffman self-spacing frames, ensure the two ‘V’ shaped edges are in the same orientation as the diagram.|
Hives can also be bought in self-assembly form.
Hive Assembly Instructions
- Insert inner wall pieces into grooves in outer wall pieces.
- For supers with a frame spacer saw cut, the cut should be at the top and nearest to the outside (see diagram).
- Push locking bars into the rebates, bevelled bar at the bottom (see cross section).
- Adjust the inner walls to be flush with the rebates in the locking bars (see cross section).
- Nail through outer walls into inner walls as shown with 50mm (2”) nails.
- Nail locking bars to outer walls as shown with 50mm nails.
- Nail locking bars from inside using 35mm (1½) nails.
- Attach the runners using brass escutcheon pins to give correct bee space.
A water proof glue can be used on joints if desired.