Here you will find information for East Devon Beekeepers branch members, including downloads of the current and archive Newsletters below, information about the branch library, reminders about bee management and disease control, ‘For Sale’ and ‘Wanted’ and more.
The South West Regional Report 2018
Each year our Regional Beekeeping Inspector, Simon Jones, issues an overview of how the previous season worked out in the South West region. It is mainly concerned with disease and bee pests, and of particular interest this year is the extended report of the Asian hornet sightings and the work involved in finding and destroying nests. Well worth a read.
The Buzz from the Branch Newsletter
Winter Varroa treatment – Oxybee solution
Treatment around Christmas / beginning of January aims to catch the Varroa when there is no brood for Varroa to hide in.
- The solution should not be too cold, nearer blood heat would be good. The day can be cold with the bees well clustered.
- Ideally draw up 50ml solution in a syringe.
- Have a lit smoker handy (but should not be needed if crown board removed very carefully).
- Between the brood frames are ‘seams’ of bees. Use 5ml for each seam of bees. Only treat the bees, do not put the solution down empty seams/gaps. So if there are only 4 seams of bees only use 20 ml.
- Practice with water beforehand so that you know how to deliver 5 ml along each seam. We find that 5 ml is a continuous series of little drops.
- If you have a super on top of the brood box and you know the cluster is below it, you can remove the super gently to treat the bees.
Best wishes for a Happy Christmas and a Productive New Beekeeping Year!
Notes from the Oxybee Instructions:
- Oxybee is an acidic substance. Use gloves and eye protection.
- Oxybee shall only be applied in brood free colonies.
- Do not use higher doses than recommended.
- Outside temperature shoud be at least 3°C during treatment.
- Use only once per colony.
|January 2019||February 2019|
|March 2019||April 2019|
|January 2018||February 2018|
|March 2018||April 2018|
|May 2018||June 2018|
|July 2018||August 2018|
|September 2018||October 2018|
|November 2018||December 2018|